1.18.2009

Mama and Big Sis Visit the NICU




Casey and Eliot finally got to meet the new additions yesterday afternoon. Eliot got to go first - I took her up mid-afternoon for her visit. She didn't have a whole lot to say, but you could see the wheels spinning in her mind. She was excited, for sure, but not certain what to think about these five little things -they don't quite look like babies she's used to seeing! It will be very interesting to watch as she processes everything that happens over the coming days, weeks, and months.

Casey and I went up around 7:00 last night for Casey's first visit. She was pretty emotional when she saw the first one, Baby A. As she went around to each of the bedsides and talked to them all, the tears were replaced with smiles as the nurses debriefed her on their condition. She was a little scared to touch them (as was I at first) because they just appear so fragile and tiny!

Here's one quick story about the day of delivery I haven't yet had a chance to share. After the babies were born and I had gone up to the NICU to see them for the first time, I went back down to the recovery room to check in on Casey. At that point, I hadn't seen her since I left the operating room with Jack to make the transfer upstairs to the NICU. When I walked into where Casey was, with tears in her eyes, she asked if the babies were ok. With adrenaline still coursing through my veins I exclaimed, "yes, they're doing great!" She responded with the pleading emotion I think any mother would have in her heart given what she'd just been through, "Really? You're not just saying that? They're really OK??" By that time, both of us were a mess of emotions and the tears were rolling as I told her, "yes, sweetheart, they're all ok."

God Bless,
Ethan


5 comments:

Miranda and Roger said...

So excited to hear they are doing well. It will be a hard time with them in the NICU, but believe that the staff is doing their very best for them. Congrats on making it as far as you did. We made it to 28+ weeks and ours (twin boys) came home in 67 days. Best of luck.

Becca or Cori depending :) said...

Casey looks way too good for just having five babies! :) I am so glad to hear all the babies are doing so well!

BAKM said...

congrats !! I am 30 years old and paraplegic in a wheelchair my entire life . But god blessed me with 2 wonderful little girls 7&4 now . So your right when you say god has a plan for everyone. So you have been truely blessed.My oldest was in the NICU for 6 weeks born at 32 weeks . She is just great now . God bless your family on the exciting journey ahead . Please keep us post on everyone

Tori :) said...

That made me cry. The pics, the story, everything. Congrats again.

Dusten Harrison said...

Fully agree with Tori. Really touching blog and pics. Thanks so much for sharing. I am so happy for this huge blessing God has given you to be responsible for. There is no one better then the 2 of you to raise these beautiful babies.

Lifesaving Products and Other Cool Stuff